The Tennessee Aquarium has produced a suite of educational materials that is available for all theater partners and community organizations. The main goal for the supporting materials is to stimulate interest in marine conservation and exploration in elementary and middle school children and families. Materials include;
• A Film Guide for Educators that includes an overview, Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), curriculum content connections and background information. • 6-10 Activities for Students, including student handouts and teacher materials. These activities include topics such as science, wildlife, conservation, as aligned with the NGSS, and include activities appropriate for students in grades 3-5 and grades 6-8 • An Educational Poster related to sea turtles for teachers to post in their classrooms
After viewing Turtle Odyssey, students will have a deeper understanding of the green sea turtle life cycle, marine conservation and much more. The film aligns with the Next Generation Science Standards in numerous categories including:
• Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems - All organisms depend on each other for survival.
• Human and Environmental Impacts on Organisms - Sustaining human societies and the biodiversity that supports them requires responsible management of natural resources.
• Inheritance and Variation of Traits: Life Cycles & Traits - Reproduction is essential to the existence of all organisms, many characteristics are inherited from their parents.
• Matter and Energy in Organisms & Ecosystems - Organisms gain and pass energy through a food chain.